Posted in Blogging, Earthquakes!, Food, Movies, Music, Nerdy Stuff, News, politics, tagged Blogging, Earthquakes!, Food, FOX News, News, politics, Sarah Palin, Volcano on April 19, 2011|
Leave a Comment »
1. There has been (and continues to be) quite an earthquake swarm in Nevada. According to (one of my favorite I-am-a-nerd-blogs) Eruptions: There is the interesting coincident that the focus of the swarm is near the Auroa Volcanic Field – however, Graham Kent from the director of the Nevada Seismological Lab at the University of Nevada, Reno, doesn’t think a volcanic eruption is likely. Eruptions blogger notes that Nevada has seen many earthquake swarms over the past few years (true, says I) and none have led to volcanic activity.
2. Life is generally good. Sweetie and I are enjoying our house and the endless list of projects (mostly his!) that come with it. He is currently constructing two raised veggie boxes for me to plant our own crops. I am very happy about this! We inherited, in the backyard of this house, a couple of nice artichoke plants. I have managed to not kill them yet and they are producing a nice little crop of artichokes. Wonderful! I picked three the other day, cooked them up, and served them with my mom’s patented (should be) artichoke dipping sauce. Delicious!
3. Work is good and sometimes crazy. True to form, my work and overlapping deadlines sometimes results in weeks like last week where I have to work 13 to 15 hours for a while. Not true to my old (younger self) form, I can’t maintain that level of work/brain effort for very long. I worked so hard for most of last week, I crashed on Friday. Went to a meeting I couldn’t reschedule and then came home, hugged my Sweetie, wasted time on the computer, and went to see a movie. We saw Hanna. It was good, but not as good as I was expecting. Good, but I was expecting more there there. But fine because, heck, I was NOT working. I won’t link to the movie trailer because I think it shows too much. But I will link to a short clip featuring some of the brilliant soundtrack from The Chemical Brothers. That particular music piece was probably my favorite in the movie, but others were quite good. If you like that sort of thing at all, you’d love the soundtrack. Sweetie and I definitely appreciated the soundtrack.
4. I was thinking of writing a separate blog called “Why I don’t blog about Sarah Palin.” But then I thought “Well, really. I don’t blog much at all these days so that seems like a silly title.” But there actually is a reason I don’t blog about her. Not that I don’t read about her. I do. And there has been plenty to read about lately. I could say all sorts of things. The ridiculousness of her posing as some sort of political analyst for Fox News. How much her reality show (and all the rest of her goings-on) does nothing to really promote the great state of Alaska since she resigned as Governor. The hypocrisy of her daughter prancing around lecturing about abstinence while supported by a group that advertises abstinence with a close-to-pornographic picture of a young girl wrapped around a guy. ? Yeah, that makes sense. We have to be hip for the young kids and then expect them to absorb a message completely opposite from the visual. How I don’t really believe most of the conspiracy theories about Trig’s birth. Mostly because I subscribe to the same belief for almost ALL conspiracy theories: If there were more than 3 people involved, it’s not very likely that a much-talked about conspiracy theory wouldn’t be able to provide proof by now. I could throw in my two cents about her actions surrounding her son’s birth (was she trying to self-abort for 8 months, including the last few days? maybe). All of these things (and much more) could have been separate blogs. But I don’t bother. Why? Because when I wrote this, my main interest was that this dear country that I live in not make the horrendous mistake of electing this woman to any high office in this country. Not in 2012. Not ever. I said I didn’t want her on the national stage. There is nothing I can do about the fact she is all over the national airwaves. There is nothing I can do about the fact that educated people I know seem to love and support her, blinded by her messages of Faith Faith Faith God God God, without realizing (or acknowledging) what a wicked truly twisted person lies beneath. But as for high office, I don’t worry about it anymore. She is a non-entity. If she runs, it will be for the publicity and her own narcissistic satisfaction. She is not a viable candidate. Not for her potential scandals. Not for her prostituting herself and her family for any amount of cash that can come her way. And not because she can’t seem to form a coherent sentence on the fly. But because of this: She quit. She quit, ladies and gentlemen. She was elected to an executive office to serve a term for the voters who cast their ballot for her, and WHAT DID SHE DO? She quit. Game over. Buh bye. No excuses (should every potential lame duck executive quit??). What more do I, a mere blogger who talks about food as much as I talk about politics, need to say? Pretty much nothing. Why do I mention it now? Because potential candidates are starting to proclaim their intentions right now and there may be another buildup of support for her. And I may note it as it happens. But do I honestly believe she has a snowball’s chance in a Texas wildfire to be elected President? No. And I trust that a large majority of people of this good country know this too.
5. If I can’t get my act together and blog more, I resolve to at least be better at reading, and hopefully chiming in at, other folks’ blogs.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Blogging on February 1, 2011|
Leave a Comment »
Don’t say goose. I’m not goosing anyone around here.
And is spruce even a word? Or is it just used so much we all think it’s a word?
Let me jump over to one of my most-used links – Merriam-Webster. Ah yes….spruce….”to make spruce.” So helpful. What’s that? A link….see “spruce” defined for English-language learners. And there’s a better definition….to make (someone or something) look cleaner, neater, or more attractive. For English-language learners? How about – for people who want a definition of the word that doesn’t include The Word?
And oh – there goes my undiagnosed ADD, and I’m off to the next thing.
Really, the only way to spruce up a dusty blog is to write in it. And I shall. Things like – trying again to keep track of the books that I’m reading, blog about the books that I’ve read, comment on news, warn you about impending earthquakes, maybe give a personal update more than twice a year, write about the fabulous food choices in Sacramento since I can no longer blog about fabulous food discoveries in Maui, write about how COLD it is anywhere other than Maui, rant, praise, and generally share some cynical views of the world around me.
Yeah – that stuff.
And this is not the blog I started earlier tonight. But it will do for now.
Read Full Post »
….hello. I am a lonely Blog Entry.
I am trapped in Draft phase and this crazy lady won’t let me out. I am usually alone all day and night. Sometimes she pops in to change a word, rearrange some punctuation, or delete half of me.! But mostly I am alone. Sometimes she cheats on me and starts a completely different Draft. I don’t hate the Other draft. I know it will get the same treatment as me.
But wait! Arghhh! No! She posted something! She posted something meaningless and yet, here I still sit. I am not meaningless! I am interesting. And I have information you might want to read!
But here I sit.
Guess you’ll never read about the ups and downs of trying to plan for the future.
You may not even know that my author flew the coop last week. Took off. Of course, I still see her because I am in some “cloud” that manages to follow her around wherever she goes. Even if she flies to California on a moment’s notice.
Why would she do that? Well, it’s not really my place as a simple DRAFT to pry, but between the e-mails flying around the cloud and the clicking on corporate websites, I’m hearing consistent chatter about things like “job openings”, “resumes”, “interviews”, and things of that nature. There were phone calls. I think there was even a Skype session. Whatever that is. And then I thought “Well! We got that over with, didn’t we? Silly interviews are over. Surely she will finish ME now!”
But no. Of course not.
Instead of calming down and going back to life as usual, she seemed to flutter around in even more of a frenzy and before you know it, I have to track her down in California. Seems technology can only go so far with these interviewer types. Personally I think that meeting in person is a little old fashioned. But what do I know? I’m just an electronic Draft!
So, here we are. I’m ignored again in favor of things like “second interviews” and “quotes from moving companies” and……don’t even get me started on how verbose she can be in her e-mails to some dude about such mundane things like “our future.” *yawn* Your future will be fine lady. But Blog Entries are NOT like fine wine. We don’t age well on the shelf. We get outdated. We go stale. We don’t like to be ignored!!
Maybe somebody should start a letter-writing campaign. “Free the Trapped Blog Entry!” Release the stale words full of yesterday’s news, ambiguous rhyming words, and ranty venom.
Or not. I can stay up here in the unread Draft clouds in the sky. It’s certainly well-populated. In fact, I think that “Script of the Century” just winked at me.
I gotta go.
Read Full Post »
Holidailies is at an end and once again I say to myself: Why do I choose December as the month to participate in the blog-every-day challenge???
Don’t know. Maybe because I’ve found some great blogs from the Holidailies crew and appreciate having the portal into their worlds. For that, and the challenge itself, I say – Big thanks to Jette and Chip for hosting Holidailies. Big Mahalo!
Thanks also to the many bloggers who spent so much time and thought on their entries this year. It was fun to revisit some old favs like Bozoette’s Red Nose Green Tuna’s Tuna News and Bev’s Funny the World. Nice to hear from fellow bloggers like Hannah over at IAmNotBroken, John at Where’s My Plan? and Erik at the electronic replicant. I’ve added a few more blogs to my favorites list, such as Ginny’s Praying to Darwin, Lisa’s Notes from Zone 4 and Zannim,. And, as always, all challenges are more fun when I get to participate with one of my all-time favorite writers, Saturncat.
Thanks everyone and keep up the good blogging so I have more reasons to distract myself in 2010!
Not too shabby this year. With this entry, I have posted 28 times since December 7. Who knows what 2010 blogging will bring for me. I hope folks will stick around to find out. Maybe a move. Maybe lots of visitors to our home in Maui. Maybe an addition to the family. ?? Certainly a few weddings, as Sweetie and I already have four we know about. Something about food, I am sure. Perhaps a cure for insomnia!? And you can always count on me for plenty of rants, political ramblings and some fawning words about this guy:
Aloha all and Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!! Happy Blogging!
Read Full Post »
Posted in Blogging, Writing, tagged NaNoWriMO on October 31, 2007|
Leave a Comment »
Is up over at Stone Girl’s New Home at Multiply. Come over and watch me try and figure out how the @*&#^@*&#@ I can customize my new blog page. FUN!
Read Full Post »